The Ohio Department of Education (ODE) has recognized Cincinnati Public Schools (CPS) as a recipient of the 2010 Stellar Award for Best Nutrition Practices. CPS joins 31 other schools and school districts in receiving the award.
ODE established the Stellar Awards in 2003 to recognize schools that use best practices to promote a healthy school nutrition environment. Based on written award nominations, ODE selected recipients based on their efforts to adopt the following USDA guidelines for local school wellness policies:
- The nutritional quality of meals served, including purchasing and preparation practices that reflect the National Dietary Guidelines
- The extent to which a la carte and vending items contain healthy choices
- Access to continuing education and training opportunities for food service staff members
- Success in providing a pleasant eating environment for students
- Nutritional education aimed at students, staff, parents and the community through marketing programs and activities