If you walk the halls of Roselawn Condon School on any given Friday, you might see or hear several cool things:
- Students singing beautiful opera music
- Aspiring engineers building magnificent LEGO creations
- Young dancers moving and grooving to fun tunes
- Student operators taking drones for a spin
- … and so much more
It’s all a part of Roselawn Condon’s Arts & Sciences focus, the school’s Vision 2020 program, which fully integrates computer lessons, the arts, music and physical education (aka C.A.M.P.) into K-8 curricula. By elevating C.A.M.P. to the same level of focus as disciplines like math and science, students are exposed to a wider variety of career paths and tap into talents they didn’t know they had.
The Arts & Sciences program fully comes to life on STEAM Fridays. Teams of students — assigned by grade level — rotate to different classes, each devoted to a specific component: science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics. In just one day, they could be creating art via 3D printers and learning to play guitar.
Christina Tierney is a music teacher and the school’s STEAM team leader. She has seen the impact that the arts have on a child’s development countless times, particularly in her primary focus of music. “Children’s brains are constantly engaged when they’re singing or performing,” she shares. “Music is a magical thing for kids.” She explains that music broadens children’s depths of emotion.
With a high population of students with physical and cognitive disabilities, Roselawn Condon’s Arts & Sciences program provides more opportunities to meet them where they are and tailor their roadmaps to academic success. Faculty teach 21st-century skills in ways that are accessible to everyone.
Children benefit from:
- An array of hands-on laboratories, activities and classes
- Licenses to STEAM websites, programs, partners and curricula that provide access to innovative educational programming
- Opportunities to study several technical and artistic disciplines, such as photography, cinematography, dance, music, engineering and much more.
Learn more about the Arts & Sciences program and Roselawn Condon at https://roselawncondon.cps-k12.org/.